Wednesday, February 16, 2011

P2P Sharing: Helping or Hurting?


For my research project I have chosen to do an analysis of the new media technology Peer-to-Peer (P2P) sharing. When most people hear of P2P sharing they usually think of things like Limewire, torrents, or some other form of illegal sharing so I believed this would be an interesting technology to analyze. It is often easy for people to list the negative effects of P2P technologies such as piracy, however there are positive effects of this technology as well. In my project I will try to determine whether P2P is helping or hurting society as a whole. I believe the best approach to my topic would be to focus less on the technical aspect of P2P and more on specific instances of its usage. I will be focusing on mainstream uses of P2P sharing such as “warez” websites, torrents, and other file sharing programs.

2 comments:

  1. This is a good topic. P2P sharing has been in debate for a while now and is still one of the hottest subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool topic because torrent downloads account for up to 55% of all internet traffic based on geographic locations. I feel that these p2p sites are helping to spread the popularity of media and in some cases leading to increased revenue for some of creators.

    ReplyDelete